Saturday 21 November 2015

What a Blow

21st November

Initially, I went to Grenham Bay but no sign of a surf scoter so could only think to get back to SS and sit in the car by the Ski Club and see what went by.  Immediately, big numbers of kittiwakes (c.500) were flying west along the beach in groups of c.40 every few minutes plus even more out on the sea keeping the c.400 gannets company, the most I have seen I think! A couple of small parties of little gulls came in close plus a few singles throughout the one and a half hours I was there. Using bins  the distant birds went past mainly unidentified but a group of 7 bonxies flew close along the beach allowing me time to get a few photos.




As midday approached the wind seemed to die off a bit allowing me to get out and scope 2 juvenile pomarine skuas sitting on the sea, occasionally lifting up briefly showing all their barred underparts. 



No comments: