Tuesday 22 December 2020

Snow Bunting at Seasalter

 22nd Dec. 2020

Day four of being in the covid 4 lockdown and I needed a walk after doing jobs around the house. I cleared some more out of the garage and fitted a new bright led light above the workbench, watched some TV and one day of rain so now time to go out but only to Seasalter.

It was not early, just 9.30 when I left the house but hardly any traffic and only two cars parked by the Sportsman PH really quiet and eerie.   I walked along the beach keeping off the muddy seawall footpath and in doing so hoped to find the snow bunting I keep missing.  The tide was out and nothing to see except the odd stonechat coming up on the wall so I had a chat with Steve A on the phone and slowly walking along the beach when I stopped suddenly.

I had to cut the conversation as the snow bunting was just twenty feet in front of me feeding. Keeping still I took plenty of photos, the bird not concerned by my presence. I slowly lowered myself to get to a better shot, getting up not being so easy. Unfortunately the light was awful, so dull, and in the 'shade' of the wall, needed high ISOs.  I moved away and watched for sometime pointing it out to Kevin D who came past along the seawall. Fifteen minutes later two large dogs came past and it was off flying really high and finally out of sight towards Harty Church.



I took a photo of the common seals on horse sands as it was such a calm day, their numbers seem to be
 increasing lately, I counted over a hundred the other week.


On the way home I checked out the whitefronts counting 28 in a field next to the brents, strange how they don't like one another's company.








No comments: