Saturday 9 November 2013

Quiet end to the week. 7th & 8th

More visits to Seasalter as everywhere else seemed quiet so no point wasting diesel. On Thursday, just the usual birds seen including, one marsh harrier over the plots, the odd blackbird, blue tit etc.. At the S.Swale LNR, c800 golden plovers on the arable fields, hardly any small birds, just the occasional mipit, my ears couldn't register anything from the reedbed either. Plenty of egrets out on the water's edge, at least twenty noted and the c.1500 strong brent flock was on the arable again until spooked (I noted Ian Shepherds pm. visit recorded  a raven on a pylon) when they all landed on the mudflats.  I was able to see the aberrant brent goose, virtually all white.


On the way back a butterfly swept over my head, not giving me a chance to ID it and I also saw a peacock in the front garden when I got home. 
Friday was a little better as I carried the scope and tripod as well as the camera, I need a pack horse! Looking far out into the 'cut' quite a few waders were present including c.500 knot and most other regular species. Out on the arable at S.Swale a merlin was sat in the field back towards the substation and on one of the pylons near Nagden two peregrines were perched, I often see two peregrines hunting together! As the tide came in 14 g.c.grebes were coming in closer and the c.50 curlews flew overhead to roost on the fields.




No comments: