Sunday 29 December 2013

So Quiet

I have had a few trips down to Seasalter over the Xmas period but there's been nothing to get excited about except maybe the build of the seal population. The gale on Xmas Eve resulted in me losing 5 ridge tiles and a dozen or more along the gable ends plus 3-4  panels down (new fence required now), so a big bill coming up I think. However, on the 28th I saw 34 brents, 24 sanderling at SS plus 11 teal on the sea plus the usual bits and pieces, the best sighting was a count of 94 seals on Horse Sands, somewhat a record for me. They have been building up for some reason during the last few weeks, hopefully they will top a hundred soon.  A big flock of c.3000 knot and slightly lesser numbers of dunlin have been regular on the distant mudflats. Sadly, hardly any passerines seen although c.15 reed buntings on the plots were unexpected.

No comments: