Sunday 13 July 2014

Is Autumn On Its Way

I've not been out since my last post due to 'work' but managed a couple of hours on the plots Saturday. I first had a stop along Seasalter Lane where, in the gloomy weather I saw a female marsh harrier perched on a post out on the marsh, then later two juvenile harriers flew up close by. It would appear the pair had success in raising a brood somewhere. I noticed another nest on one of the pylons, maybe a crow perhaps... 


Fairly quiet otherwise, a couple of reed warblers, goldfinch etc.. but birding along a road with no path isn't wise for too long.  Moving down to the seafront I was surprised to see eight egrets in one of the tidal pools as the tide was rapidly coming in.  On the  plots, near the concrete bridge, my earliest autumn kingfisher unless a breeder somewhere. Several young linnets, 2 great tits, 1 blue tit, 4 swallows and whitethroats etc. were flitting about and over the sheep field c.200 curlews plus one blackwit and 18 lapwing took flight. Along the dyke 2 common terns were flying up and down fishing.  I had a walk along the seawall, not finding much but took a photo of a small white but nothing much else appeared.

Small White

On the beach I noticed loads of seaweed, Enteromorpha recently washed up in thick masses on the water's edge.
Enteromorpha

Today, (Sun) I went over to Oare where I bumped into Mark Chidwick. On the flood there were at least 3 wood sandpipers, plus a distant spotted redshank.  Plenty of blackwits as usual, a little grebe with young was swimming up and down the ditch next to the road. A marsh harrier flew over and later caught a frog but nothing much else to get excited about. 








No comments: