Wednesday 12 November 2014

Away To The Desert

Thurs. 6th

A lovely sunny day I thought I would have a change of scenery and go to Dungeness. Upon arrival I got out of the car and the phone sounded off  'Desert Wheatear at Reculver', oh no!  Dungeness looked quiet especially as the red-rumped swallow was nowhere to be found  so it was about turn and head back to Reculver.  A few people were already there and it was only just a short walk to the other side of the towers where the bird was making its home on the big rocks. Fairly tame and approachable plus 350 shots later it was 'in the can'. I stayed for the rest of the day which was a good move as a little auk was found swimming fast into the beach late afternoon allowing ridiculously close shots. The rest is history as hordes of folk came along to see the wheatear  during its four day stay.




 A late pm Shot

First day photos

7th.

I returned on Friday afternoon wanting to see the shorelark and snowbuntings which I finally caught up with near Cold Harbour' late pm.. I managed a few shots but at 3.30pm and in the shade I didn't expect much.


All I Could Manage in the 'Dark'

8th.

A visit to Seasalter was quiet but out on the flats my first decent group of knot, about 200 I thought and a similar number of grey plovers which were scattered all over. At the pumping station 24 GBB gulls, 63 redshank and 32 lapwings etc., There was a light passage of chaffinches and siskins along the wall and further up on the LNR 'old' musselbank c.1500 golden plovers.  After this I went back to the excitement at Reculver and another look at the goodies. 


Better light today

9th.

Another look around the local patch revealed nothing of particular interest although a few flocks of redwings were dropping into Wraik Hill and feeding on the berries. Down on the seafront by the Sportsman. 35 goldfinches, a couple of stonechats, a fieldfare in the pub 'garden' and c.2000 goldies in the stubble field further on behind the LNR.

10th.

Another visit to Reculver on Monday thinking it would be quieter but no way, still thronging with birders, some from Essex and west London (they should be at work or the retired doing domestic duties). However, it was good to catch up with a lot of folk I'd not seen for a while, too much time talking spent talking though!  The 'star' unfortunately, had vanished overnight and moved everybody to concentrate on the snow buntings and shorelark at Cold Harbour. I got some shots of both with Mr. Ashton and also met Flickr contact Graham Nicholls, goodness knows how many other Flickr contacts I may have walked past but didn't have a clue who they might have been.  After a while it felt uncomfortable with so many of us 'chasing' the bird so we left shortly after getting a few shots. Mind you the birds and birders kept a good distance allowing them to feed continuously, everybody behaved correctly whilst we were there.






1 comment:

Warren Baker said...

Very nice set of images Mike.