Thursday 20 November 2014

Shore lark

I missed a shore lark by an hour on the 19th as when counting the 13 sanderling on the high tide roost a chap came up to me asking about a bird he'd seen but didn't know what it was but managed to get a reasonable shot of it. Yes, a shore lark just a 100 yds west of the tractor, I walked all the way west to the white post and back but no luck. No doubt the many dog patrols persuaded it to move off!

Today, 20th, the high tide roost held a record 24 sanderling plus c.1500 dunlin  the usual supporting cast.  A great spotted woodpecker alighted on a telegraph pole as I was getting out of the car, a good record I've not seen one here for c.3 months and Steve Ashton saw a ring necked parakeet flying along the beach, a new site record!


 Out over the sea it was a surprise to see a Sandwich tern, my latest ever record.


No comments: