Thursday 2 April 2015

At Last A Day Out

2nd April

The wifes' gone to Bluewater with a friend for the day, there are no kids to look after plus its not a bad day, great.   First stop was Seasalter as the wind had subsided and the tide was rapidly coming near to the beach. Hardly any waders left just half a dozen redshank and several turnstones plus a surprise to see 12 sanderling still present but no dunlin or brents.  In the plots a stonechat and in the dyke a shoveler and a couple of coots, mallard and moorhens, the teal may have been deeper in the marsh but I didn't see any.


A walk along the beach showed how much the tide had recently swept stones etc. to fill in the tiny causeway that had been developing over the last couple of years.  The 'island' is now no longer so I am wondering how this will effect the safe roost that birds had, already I see people walking out on it. 







After an hour or so I went to see the Shrike at Chilham, now in its seventh month now, early October until now at least. It was in its usual spot and doing its sudden disappearing acts. I saw it fly into the hedge and keeping my eye on it as I approached a bit closer it somehow vanished, I think it has a series of tunnels where it dives into and comes up somewhere else.

Taken from a distant section of the wire

I left just after midday as I had to be 'in' for the Pilgrims Hospice driver to pick up a sofa, so it wasn't a completely free day. However, he was there at 1.30 allowing me to go to Seasalter again and how the weather had perked up.  Hoping to see the SEO and perhaps get a photo I didn't stop long around the plots and made my to the Sportsman. It was soon on show and later I was joined by Mark Chidwick where we together got a few owl shots.




Going back to the car I couldn't resist taking this photo of a magpie


2 comments:

Marc Heath said...

The first sentence says it all Mike, heaven! A nice selection of shots from today.

Warren Baker said...

I very rarely get Magpie images, they are just too wary, nice one :-)