Friday 8 December 2017

Ramsgate Harbour Delights, Seasalter Seals and Waders

21st Nov.

I made a visit to Ramsgate harbour hoping to see the black-throated diver which dutifully made an appearance plus an obliging guillemot.




25th

A bright morning but a not a lot going at SS so I headed out towards Castle Coote seal watching after noticing a lot on Horse Sands the other day.  On the walk up I saw 4 stonechats, 4 reed buntings, 1 skylark, c.200 lapwings on the back pasture plus c.1000 golden plovers.  Opposite the Horse Sands the common seals were strung out along the sands, the final count being 102. 

Some Of The 102 Seals On horse Sands.

I have noticed all this autumn the dearth of young brent geese and today saw only 3 amongst the flock.

Just 3 juveniles Seen Today

26th

A phone call from GB alerted me to a yellow-legged gull just off the outfall at SS.  I was just about to leave for a Sunday lunch but swiftly made time for the quick dash down to the beach. Unfortunately the bird had a piece of plastic wrapped around its head!



The last few days of the month the weather was a bit rainy so got on with other jobs but I did go out on a couple of late afternoon visits to SS seeing 4-5 marsh harriers and a barn owl on two occasions. 
On the 30th it was very cold and I only spent an hour at SS seeing 144 lapwing, 41 curlew, c.800 goldies and the lone rook on the seawall. I walked up to the wall seeing a couple of grey plovers and redshank that made fodder for the camera plus a marsh harrier but now too cold............home to the fire!







No comments: