Sunday 20 January 2019

Reculver and Sandwich Snow Buntings

Tues 8th Jan

A visit to Reculver drew a blank as regards TO the snow buntings but good exercise if nothing else. The Environment Agency had started to profile the beach with three large lorries, digger and bulldozer which was scaring everything away (if there was anything there to start with). However, I did see a couple of stonechats, some linnets. c.40 mallard at Cold Harbour and an egret ...........home.

pm.  A short trip to SS produced 2 pink-footed geese flying over towards Sheppey from the Grove direction.



12th Jan.

A return visit to Reculver again hoping to see the snow buntings as it was reported they were happy feeding in the disturbed shingle amongst the traffic!  I was told by someone they had seen them this morning but it still required a walk to Cold Harbour lagoon before I saw them. I quickly got a few shots before a huge lorry rumbled past on the beach sending the two away into the distance. Stonechats were busy in the same area and preceded me along the way back.



I was out for the day so I called into 'Hats Hats' coffee shop for a drink before going to Sandwich Bay via Deal. No sign of the SEOs but met Bernie who told me of other snow buntings to be seen from the beach. I joined him in the search which soon showed them on the 'green' but continually were flushed by golfers but they always returned along with the dozen skylarks.

On the way home I stopped at Hampton finding the two purple sandpipers on the steps.

14th Jan.

Grandchildren for breakfast at 7.00am and the usual school run but greeted a beautiful red sky and sunrise that morning.





No comments: