Sunday 23 May 2021

Another Bee Identified In The Garden

 23rd April 21

Terrible weather this weekend so I didn't get out much but in between the showers I ventured into the garden. My cotoneaster bush always seems covered in bees usually the buff-tailed workers and I saw about a dozen on this occasion but also with them and the same size was a fluffy yellow one with a rosy tail.  After getting photos I have identified it as the 'Early Bumblebee', Bombus pratorum, one of our smaller bumble bees and a new one for me. Its been in the garden for a couple of days now along with 'carder bee', Bombus pascuorum, and the workers of buff-tailed bumblebees Bombus terrestris plus I saw one white-tailed bumblebee Bombus lucorum, with a really gleaming white tail.



                                               Early Bumblebee, Bombus pratorum


                                           White-tailed Bumblebee, Bombus lucorum


No comments: