Thursday 17 October 2013

Snow buntings and Shorelarks 16th October

Wasn't sure where to go today and the weather wasn't sure either but I finally settled on Chambers Wall and a walk along to Minnis. I soon met Derek Smith whose excellent hearing put me onto siskins and 2 grey wagtails flying overhead and later on the path to Cold Harbour, a ring ouzel flew out of a bush and back towards the embankment. I parted company there and continued down to the sea and on route saw a kingfisher, marsh harrier and a merlin was over the arable putting up a huge flock of mainly linnets.  Nothing going on at Cold Harbour so continued towards Minnis with a few reed buntings, chiffchaffs, mipits and blue tits on the way. A lone figure ahead of me disappeared from view but  eventually catching up with him he turned out to be Steve Ray who had just caught up with the two shorelarks.  

Shorelark
The weather was grim now with rain in the air so after grabbing a few shots we hastened on towards Minnis when after a 100yards the two snow buntings were posing on the beach just below the wall not more than eight feet away. Filling my boots there I parted company with Steve and made my way back along the embankment in the rain. 

Snow Bunting
It was still a bit early to get back home so I diverted to Reculver Towers where a Black Redstart was hopping about on the large rocks.

Black Redstart

No comments: