Wednesday 16 October 2013

Sunny afternoon at Seasalter. 15th October.

After an uneventful morning at the 'Feast hide', Grove Ferry where my only chance at kingfisher was thwarted by a noisy person the hide, I imagined the rest of the day was going to be on the PC.  However, after lunch the sun came out and  I spent a couple of hours at Seasalter. I went straight to the South Swale LNR where around the beach huts the two wheatears were still present.  Two or three chaffinches were feeding around the huts also but no sign of any black redstarts.

Chaffinch
Making my way along to the start of the wall, a clouded yellow was moving from flower to flower allowing a me to get a couple shots.

Clouded Yellow
A couple of mipits were flitting about and on the wall the two whinchats were still on site but I could not approach closer than about 40yards. They led me a merry dance but I eventually got a record shot which needed a tight crop.

Whinchat
The tide was out and a count of the brent revealed only 81 birds, none in the top corner at Castle Coote either when a couple of days ago when there was up to 4000......some clear out. Along the edge of the beach a little egret kept me company whilst out on the arable a peregrine landed in the middle of one of the fields.

Little Egret
On the walk back, several common darters were active in the late afternoon sunshine often landing on the concrete wall. 

Common Darter

No comments: