Thursday 26 January 2017

Seasalter

9th Jan.

A look along the seafront finding 38 species inc. 87 ringed plovers, 5 sanderling 5-600 knot, 52 brents, 25 turnstones and on the plots, 19 fieldfares flew over plus c.30 golden plover, 10 teal in the dykes.  Opposite the Sportsman I counted 210 lapwings on the field and by the main reedbed two stonechats.

The Common Buzzard often seen on lamp posts near the Borstal Hill roundabout.

16th Jan.

The tide was right out and opposite the pumping station (NRA) were 116 lapwings were resting on the 'hard' with the gulls etc. On the tide edge I counted 70 brents plus a few curlew were scattered about and lots of dunlin were sprinkled right across the mudflats although as usual, hardly any off the LNR. I could see 2-3000 knot right out in mid-channel, perhaps on the Sheppey side.

On the plots, c.10 moorhens on the grass, 1 green woodpecker, a couple of song thrushes and blackbirds, just 1 reed bunting. Nice to hear cetti's again as quiet lately. I walked towards the conifers flushing 4 snipe, also 2 stonechats, 3 reed buntings and a heron. The big surprise amongst a flock of 14 mipits was a yellowhammer and making my way back to the road 14 mallards, great and blue tits. 




Another look over the sea (tide coming in now), produced; 11 wigeon, 26 g.c.grebes, 8 red-throated divers fairly close but far out I could make out what I'm sure were another 37 red throats. The last birds on the tick list were 3 egrets and my first lesser black-backed gull for the year. 


'Sundog' in the sky



No comments: