Sunday 6 October 2013

Lesser Grey Shrike on Sheppey

After a day at Howletts Zoo on Saturday I needed something good today and hearing about Mike Buckland's super find yesterday I hoped news would come in this morning confirming its continued presence.   Found again by Mark Chidwick in the same place this morning I ventured over there finding it far out across the fields.  Good scope views could be had but photography was on the back burner as the bird had flown even further away from the path and the heat haze made it doubly difficult.  Stayed a good while with the gathering group of birders when the bird finally took a long flight after an insect and landed on a closer bush.  Used the 1.4 converter on the lens but it was still a tiny image, I cropped down to c.7-800 pixels on most shots, then reduced down to 640.



On the way home I called in at Seasalter and looked over the wall hoping to see the red-necked grebe but only found 20 odd grebes and a red-throated diver.

No comments: