Thursday 13 May 2021

Castle Coote Track and a New hoverfly

 2nd May

I put my name down for little tern wardening but wanted to give the track a test before as I was told it was best in a 4X drive but it was no problem, just one lumpy spot.  Lots of yellow wagtails on the track and sedge warblers.

Returning, I called in for a walk at Wraik Hill where I saw a couple of long tailed tits but I was mainly after insects. Here, the orange-tailed bees, Andrena haemorrhoa were still about.....over by the Oaks found another vestalis bumblebee in the grass, laying down looking as if it was having a preen.  Going through the gate by the main road I found a new hoverfly ERISTALIS SIMILIS. It did not quite add up to the specs in the books so emailed it to UK Hoverflies FB page where they ID'd to the above......a rarish migrant from the continent but could be resident now as there are quite a few records coming in.


Eristalis similis




Three shots above of Orange-tailed Mining Bee, Andrena haemorrhoa

No comments: